The great number of bloggers out there seem to be young people in their late teens/early twenties. Is this because blogging is for the young? That tends to be the age when people are the most self-centered, so a blog about themselves seems like a natural outgrowth.
But...blogging has only been "hot" for a little while. Most blogs are either a) 2-3 months old, or maybe 3-5 years if the person's really been into it. So are blogs just exiting infancy, learning to walk and talk, and developing personalities of their own? Since they're pretty new, again they would first be attractive to the young and tech-savvy.
I tend to be on the older side of bloggers. Even though Tony Pierce says he's ancient, I figure he's mid-30s tops. So that's a good sign that one of the more respected bloggers out there is around my age. In other words, I'm not alone.
Why do I blog? Some people would probably point to the self-centered thing. And they may be right. I blog because I like to write, and this has finally been the best spot to put down the little scribblings I usually leave in the margins of notebooks and legal pads at work.
How long will this thing last? Hard to say. The Madpony girls didn't make it out of college; Raymi seems to be taking a break (or not, if you read today's entry), or morphing into something new. Do blogs just capture a brief moment of someone's life? the 21st century version of the high school diaries and journals people keep?
Speaking of, here are a couple of the better high school blogs out there from some of the Limelight crew, if you're into such things:
Just a Griffin Through Life and Too Frumpy for the Teenage Population. (Happy Belated Birthday, by the way.)
And a couple of other shout-outs to some of my more active readers (i.e. Comments = Attention!)
The Holywriter and Robodopeness, who just recently moved to Chicago. I say Robo and Psynorm meet up at Navy Pier, Sunday at dawn, and see who can swim across Lake Michigan first. The king himself (me) shall draw the checkered flag.
No comments:
Post a Comment