Monday, September 13, 2004



Today I'm just going to write about stuff I saw this weekend:

Saw Hero on Sunday. Good movie, very cool images, but a lot of people think it's better than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and I have to disagree. People are suddenly trashing CTHD for being too slow, or not "Chinese" enough. Meh. In Hero, the story isn't nearly as deep at CTHD, and while the action sequences are more plentiful in Hero, they're just not as interesting. Plus the translation was pretty bad. For a Zhang Yimou film at least. Don't get me wrong; I liked it. I'm very excited about Zhang's follow-up, The House of Flying Daggers, which comes out this Fall. But pretty colors and bad-ass wuxia fighting only goes so far. You gotta have soul. There were a bunch of nimrods sitting next to me who kept laughing during the ending, so that might have ruined it a bit for me.




Watched the entire 18-episode run (before NBC dumped it) of Freaks and Geeks this weekend as well. (Yes, I'm a loser, baby, that's all I did.) I'm just going to say this: Knowing that the people of America prefer Fear Factor to Freaks and Geeks just makes me doubt this country even more than I do already.

Rilo Kiley's "It's a Hit" is the best single I've heard in a long while. The album is good, too, but "It's a Hit" is beyond anything else on there. I can't tell you why I like it, really; I just like it. The whole salt-shaker line, the "shoo-bops" and "It's a holiday for a hangin'."


Oh, and George Bush is a liar and a very evil man, and must be stopped. Just in case you didn't know.

No comments: