Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Summer's over, and as usual I am glad.

Why, you ask incredulously? I'm not sure. As a teacher, summer means the glories of sleeping in, staying up late, and not worrying about work for 10-12 weeks or so. (Well, Limelight Theatre keeps me very busy for 6 weeks in the beginning, so I really only get about 4-6 weeks of actual Nothing-but-Vacation in the summer.)

These things are all wonderful, and I look forward to them every year. But the end of summer is a strange time to me. To me, it's the true End of the Year. Those dog days of August, where everything has shut down and people spend their days by the pool or on vacation, are the last gasp of what I consider to be "the year." And now that Labor Day weekend has come and gone, it's time to start up a new one.

Congress goes back into session, new television shows begin, the "good" movies start coming out, and I go back to work. Plus the temperature starts dropping, which is probably my favorite part. I'm just not a summer person. Give me the crispness of a good fall evening any day.

Ehhh. I've been trying to make this post better than it is, but it's just not happening. So I'm just going to post it and get it over with.

No comments: