Monday, January 02, 2006

A few lists to issue out as we say goodbye to one year and welcome another. This is mostly for my benefit, so that years from now I can go back and check out what I was listening to during a particular year.

Because, as you know, I'm old, and I don't have my freaky-accurate file cabinet of a mind anymore.

Favorite Music of 2005

10. Sam Cooke - One Night Stand/Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Square Club

Not a new album, but it was reissued in 2005 to my eternal happiness. Quite possibly the best live performance I've ever heard. Remember how I gushed about it here and here? I've been looking for this album for a long time.

9. Daniel Lanois - Belladonna

Lovely instrumental album from the best producer/artist in the business.



8. Stars - Set Yourself on Fire

Here's the tricky part: I wouldn't say Stars is one of my favorite bands or anything, and there were other artists I prefer that put out new albums this year, but as a whole, Set Yourself on Fire was a better album than Plans, and I just liked them better than The Arcade Fire.

7. Wilco - Kicking Television: Live in Chicago

The best band in America finally puts out a live CD. A bit anticlimactic for me, only because I've seen them live so many times already, and the set list leans too much on the last two albums. But the current line-up of Wilco is the best-sounding since the BeingThere/Summerteeth era.

6. Moby - Hotel

"Nobody listens to techno so let go." I still listen to techno, and Moby put out a great album this year. Nobody does gorgeous sad-bastard mopey music like Moby.


5. New Order - Waiting for the Sirens' Call

Why did it take me so long to really get into this band? One of several "older" acts who really hit their stride this year (See # 2 and 3.) I should also mention Power, Corruption, and Lies, which came out in 1983. I was too busy watching Return of the Jedi over and over again to listen to it back then, but I likes it now.

4. Stephen Malkmus - Face the Truth

I couldn't tell you a single track name on this album, but I listen to it constantly. It's bizarre and rockin' and it just kicks ass. Is it his best solo album? Maybe. But I loved his first, where he abandons the prog-noodling and completely surrenders to the power of the three-minute pop song. Nothing beats that song about Yul Brenner.

3. Bruce Sprinsteen - Devils and Dust

This could very easily be #1, but this is a favorites list, not a Best Of list. A bunch of songs about Mexican immigrants and lonely, desperate people trying not to "fuck it up this time." This is the Boss's best work since Tunnel of Love. Great lyrics, great sound. Except when Patti's background vocals butt in; they seem a bit overproduced and unnecessary.

2. Van Morrison - Magic Time
Van is the Woody Allen of music; he puts out an album almost every year, and sometimes they're great, and sometimes they're a bit shaky. Magic Time is Van's best in at least ten years, if you ask me. "Celtic New Year" and "The Lion this Time" are some of the most beautiful songs he's every put out. If you're tired of playing Moondance to death, try out some of his recent stuff. You won't be disappointed.

1. The New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
I don't know how this band does it. Every song on this album is perfect, with "Use It" and "Sing Me Spanish Techno" just a bit more perfect than the others. Twin Cinema also feels a bit more "grown-up" than their first two albums; the songs seem to stand apart a little more, instead of all blending together to sound like some monstrous power-pop marathon.

The P's were the only band I saw in concert this year, too, so if that isn't a barometer for Favorite of the Year, I don't know what is.

Honorable Mentions (albums): American Whip, Joy Zipper; Prairie Wind, Neil Young (just got it for Christmas); and The Chieftains: Live from Dublin: A Tribute to Derek Bell.

Honorable Mentions (singles): everything I've heard from the new Kanye West album. I don't listen to much hip-hop, but damn, "Gold Digger" and "Heard 'Em Say" are pretty fucking cool.

Biggest Disappointment: Plans, Death Cab for Cutie. After The Postal Service debuted, Ben Gibbard became my personal Jesus, but this album just doesn't do much for me. "Soul Meets Body" was great, but I just can't get excited about the rest of the album. Also, X&Y, Coldplay. Last album was great; this one tries to sound like U2 more than U2 did on Atomic Bomb last year.

Most Played Track on iTunes: "Shane Bradley," The Pogues. A little-known instrumental that was added to the remastered If I Should Fall From Grace With God album.

Best Music-Related Christmas Present: The 30th Anniversary Box Set of Born to Run.

2004's Favorites can be found by clicking here, if you're into stuff like this.

No comments: