As long as I'm going against the popular opinion this week, I might as well say that I saw Million Dollar Baby this weekend. And I didn't think it was all that great.
I know it's supposed to be Eastwood's best movie, his masterpiece, his crowning achievement, but I disagree. I still can recall sitting in the theatre, watching Unforgiven, and there was this moment (probably when English Bob is getting his ass kicked by Gene Hackman) where Bobby Bandito and I turned to each other and said, "Man, this is a good movie."
That doesn't happen very often, and it didn't happen with Baby.
It was very, very good, don't get me wrong. But as a fan of many of Eastwood's later films, I have to say I prefer Unforgiven, A Perfect World, and maybe even The Bridges of Madison County to Million Dollar Baby.
(I know I'm going to catch hell for that last one, but I'm feeling dangerous tonight. I couldn't believe it myself, but it's a really good movie.)
Baby just seemed too recycled for me. Underdog makes good + tragedy. Eastwood playing a character haunted by estranged relationship with daughter (done many times by him.) Morgan Freeman's wise narration.
A wonderful film, Clint. But Marty has you beat with The Aviator. That's got my vote as Best Picture this year. If you don't count The Incredibles.
More on The Aviator tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment