Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Once More Unto the Breach

So... where was I?

Dublin, right. Finishing up the second week of my sabbatical, to sort things out. I've been back home now...what? Three weeks? Something like that?

It has been good to be back in my classroom. That was the hardest thing, being away from my guys. I know I could eventually leave teaching, but leaving a class in the midst of things...well, that's just not right. They survived without me for a couple of weeks, but in the end, they are my class, and I am their teacher.

So the question is begged: did I accomplish anything? Well, yes, some stuff. I got a lot of the Limelight business done. Schedules and summer planning and such. And I wrote a lot. But not nearly enough. I could have used another couple of weeks, but that would have been indulgent, and there was work to be done here. But yes, I got a lot done.

There is the other business as well. The Life Business. Did I straighten that out? Were there any grand revelations while I lived another life for a couple of weeks?

Probably not. If I realized anything, it's that I need to get more sleep and not eat crappy food. If anything else was discovered, it'll come in time, just like all great revelations do that spring from some grand wandering.

My spring break is next week, and of course I think about where I could go, but I'll spend the week at home, sleeping late and writing even later, and between all that I'll hopefully eat good food and take walks and spend a little time with some quality people.

There's been a whole lot of turmoil going on in my profession, in my state that I'm in, these past several weeks. Budgets are being slashed, people I know are being laid off, and hard decisions are being made all over. It's a longer story for another time, but it's one of those extreme situations that makes you want to either pull the ripcord or hunker down in the bunker.

I haven't decided which one is best. I'll either leap into the fray or take cover as the bombs sail by. And, of course, I'll let you know.

No comments: